Monday, August 13, 2012

Rolling Along

Last Tuesday, August 7, was the Primary bike parade.
Cambrie had set a goal to be able to ride her bike in it without any training wheels.
We thought that was a wonderful goal.
A while back we took off her training wheels and pedals so she could learn how to balance.  She has been doing well scooting around and has definitely learned some much needed balance.  But it's been so hot and we have seemed so busy that we hadn't practiced enough with her.
  Before I knew it, it was Tuesday and we hadn't tried putting the pedals back on. 
That's a sad mommy moment when you realize you haven't helped accomplish a goal.
Cambrie is a sweetheart and was okay to ride in her parade sans pedals.
They started in the back where it wasn't so crazy.
Cambrie and Zane had a great time riding down the STREETS through the neighborhood.   
Zane got really into it and started passing people, saying he was a fast bike racer.  At the end they got to eat yummy ice cream cones.  It was much needed because I think it was still 95 degrees outside.  (This summer has been so hot!)
Even Piper enjoyed the ride and the views.  I love how she gets herself comfortable!
When we got home I told Cambrie I thought she was really for pedals and we would put them on for sure in the morning.  It was already 7:50 and kids were ready for bed.  But then Blake, or really nice Daddy, stepped in and said lets just do it now.  So he did.  Then he took her down to the side walk, showed her how to start, and off they went.  I think he held on to the back of her seat for about 2.4 seconds.  Enough time for her to balance and get the pedals figured out. 
It's amazing!  By the second house down the street she was yelling,
I'm doing it!
WAHOO!!! I'm Doing It!
What an exciting day!
I'm so proud of her.  She got a little nervous but powered right through.
And just for the record.  Taking the pedals off works wonders.  So much better than running behind holding the seat!

1 comment:

Emily Harkness said...

We used the same method to help Bennett learn to ride. After months of no progress holding onto his seat and running after him, I finally googled it and saw the taking the pedals off method! Why had I never heard of this before? All it took was 2 days of him riding without the pedals, and when we put them back on, he could ride his bike! Best method ever! And Mom and Dad don't even have to do anything! I think Mylie will be able to learn to ride a bike much sooner using this. Tell Cambrie good job! It's such a great moment when they figure it out!