Wednesday morning at about 7:10 Blake turned on the shower.
It's Thursday night and I left Blake all tucked in and comfy, ready for bed in the hospital-for the second night.
I don't really know where the last 2 days have gone. My thoughts are swirling around my head so fast, I just hope something of this makes sense.
My Young husband of barley 30 yrs of age suffered from a stroke. A stroke. I just thought they were for old people. When Blake turned on the shower Wednesday morning the left side of his face and left arm went numb. He thought that was strange but then didn't think much of it. It seemed to get a little better while he showered. When he got out he came into the bedroom to show me his weird smile (he now couldn't make it go up on the left side). I wasn't feeling good, was half asleep, didn't have contacts in and really couldn't open my eyes anyway. My reply was something like, wow that's neat. And then I went back to sleep. So Blake got ready like normal and left for work. Only on his way to work he didn't feel so normal, he started getting all pins and needles and not being able to move the left side. He went to his parents house and had his mom drive him to the ER.
After a MRI and CAT scan he was checked into the hospital. After working with great doctor's, an EKG, and the bubble test, we found out that he did have a stroke and that he has a size able hole in his heart. The hole in his heart allowed a blood clot through and straight into his brain.
I know its not a good thing to have a stroke, but I think in this case we have been blessed that Blake had this stroke now. Damage could have been worse. He could have been away on business, on his bike in the middle of nowhere, or a number of other situations. He is doing well. Has most all of his movements back and the doctors think he will get it all back.
We have a few more tests to get done and then we will know the course of action we will be following. He does have to get the hole in his heart fixed so he will be having some kind of surgery soon. The test will tell us which one we need. Nothing like something serious to really make you grow up!
I just keep thinking we are so lucky! My cousin Amber lives by the saying, Every day is a gift. Wow, did that really come a little more real for me these past few days.
I am so thankful for family and friends for all the support we have been receiving! Thank you for all your prayers and well wishes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Oh my Gosh Melissa! I'm so glad he's doing okay! Is the hole in his heart something he's had for a long time, or did they just find it? I'm so glad this was caught in an instance where he was able to get help! We're thinking of you!
I am so glad that Blake is doing okay and that the doctors think he will recover fully. I am so sorry for all that you've had to go through. You have such a good attitude. Keep hanging in there and please let us know what we can do to help out. Tell Blake we are so glad he is okay and hope that the surgery he ends up having to get goes very smoothly. We love you guys and will keep you in our prayers!
Oh Melissa...I'm glad that things are looking up. Please let me know if I can do anything. I'm thinking and praying for you both.
Oh my heck. That is horrible news, i am glad to hear though that they anticipate full recovery. Kyle and I will keep you in our prayer, let us know if we can do anything.
Oh my word! I have heard of younger people having strokes before but this has never happened w/ anyone that I've known. How scary! I too am so grateful that Blake is doing OK & that he will be able to have surgery soon. I can't imagine how frightening that must have been for both of you. I will most definitely remember to keep you & your family in my prayers as well. Both of you take care of yourselves!
Wow. That is really crazy. I hope you both are making it through this okay. Oh, and glad I could give you a laugh when you neede one. Keep us updated!
Wow!!! I am so glad that everything is turning out okay. SCARY!!! I'll keep your family in my prayers. Good luck. And thanks for the reminder about every day being a gift!
Say WHAT? See what happens when I don't check your blog for a couple days? Luckily Charlotte told me the news this morning and I came to read all the details. Unbelievable that something like this could happen to someone so young and healthy! Keep us posted please.
Yikes! I can't believe this! I know I always think that me and my family are invincible and then something like this will happen. I am so glad that this was caught! If you need help with your kids during doctor times and/or surgery, please let me know. I don't live too far from you and I want to help!
You guys are in our prayers!
Jenne told me, oh goodness, I am so sorry. That is an awesome attitude to have! We will be praying for him and your family, good luck!
I love the great and wise turtle on kungfu panda! "yesterdays' history, tomorrows a mystery, but today is a gift, thats why they call it the present!"
We love you so much and are so glad blake is okay. Our thoughts and prayers are with your sweet family.
Post a Comment