Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Happy 4th!

The 4th of July is truly one of my favorite holidays! I love buying new outfits, eating the delicious breakfast, playing with family, BBQ's, and to top it off- watching fireworks.
 This year was no different. We did get to go to the Kaysville parade. I'm not sure if I have ever been to a parade on the 4th. It was lots of fun getting candy thrown at us and they have a fun water fight at the end. It was the highlight for sure. The kids loved the fireworks. Cambrie talked through the whole thing. Aubrey was there and Cambrie couldn't waste not telling her everything on her little busy mind.
We had our annual 4th breakfast and swimming at Cheryl's.  It was great as usual.  It's fun to be able to see so many of my cousins that I don't get to see as often anymore.  Cambrie has been fascinated with Kenya since the princess festival.  Luckily, my cousin Taylor served his mission there and was so willing to talk to her about Kenya. He even had pictures on his phone for her to see.  Hearing more about the people there makes me feel even more blessed to be living here.   Cambrie loved every minute of it, although she was trying to play it cool the whole time.  She has been talking about it ever since.
The kiddos did some snaps outside Saturday and Monday.  Zane got the stomping action down so fast!  Cambrie liked throwing them this year.  You just didn't know where it was going to land...
Fun 4th of July fact:
It was not declared a federal holiday until 1941, but has been celebrated for a lot longer. John Adams had this to say about it in a letter to his wife, Abigail in July 1776, "It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews [Shows], Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more."
I think he would be proud of all our celebrations!
I am so thankful for the men and women who serve the this wonderful country.  They so willingly do this so I can be free!  I am Proud to be an American!

4 comments:

Christina said...

I love that bit from John Adams. I think I'm going to 'steal' it and put that in my scrapbook! :) Glad you had a great 4th!

The Monson Family said...

It looks like it was a great 4th! We're sad that we missed the annual breakfast, but we had some fun here too!

Michelle said...

Looks like you guys had a blast celebrating the 4th of July! What cute pictures! Isn't it so fun to hear our little ones just gab away. Cambrie is such a cute little girl!

Tyler and Julia said...

Very cute pictures Melissa. I'm really curious as to how you got your blog pictures so BIG! I love the way they look. Any tips or advice on how you did this?? :)