Tuesday, November 30, 2010

60 Amazing Years

November 27th was Grandpa and Grandmas' 60th wedding anniversary.  60 Years!  That's amazing.  They are both wonderful examples of service and love.  You know they love their family above all else.  Almost all the family was able to attend this special dinner.  We were only missing Aubrey, Drew, Nate, Bridget, and girls.
I felt extremely lucky to be able to share the table with them on their special day.  Grandpa read a fun little announcement that was in the paper when they got married.  It amazes me what they put in the paper back then!  It gave full account of everyone that was in the wedding party.  Told what Grandmas dress looked like, along with her moms.  Plus, told that Grandma would be wearing a smart blue pant suit to head off to their honeymoon in Arizona.  So fun to hear the details.  The tables had their china displayed with pictures of them on their wedding day.  Maria recreated there cake from that day.  It looked so good! 
But the best part was being able to ask them questions about that day 60 years ago.  I asked what was most memorable about that day.  Grandpa immediately said the fog.  It was so bad you could hardly see.  Grandma said they had to sneak out really fast.  Back then it was a tradition to kidnap the bride!  How funny that could be.  They said it had been taken too far a few times.  People would keep the bride somewhere over night.  But they got out fine.

I'm glad we could be there with them.  I hope one day I can sit by Blake and recount our wedding day 60 years before.

2 comments:

Blake said...

I can't imagine being 60 years old yet alone being married that long.

Aubrey said...

Oh believe it Blake :) I sure wish we could have been there...we are so sad to not have been. Thank you for writing about it because I hadn't heard anything else other than it was good. What great examples they are!