Every birth is different and special.
I wanted to get it all down and only want to write it once.
Skip to the end if you just want pictures!
On Wednesday night, Jan. 18, I had contractions all night long. They weren't huge, but uncomfortable and kept me up most the night. I had a Doctors appointment Thursday morning and was so so wishing she would tell me to go straight to the hospital.
No, luck. I was still at a 4!
I was scheduled to be started if I didn't come on my own by Sunday. Dr. Z and I both hoped I would start on my own. She did for health issues. Me, I was getting tired of having contractions!
So, all Thursday morning I had contractions that were pretty good, but nothing consistent.
At 2:00 I started having contractions that were 10 minutes apart. But still I didn't get my hopes up. This has happened plenty of times already.
Just like a normal Thursday we went to pick up Cambrie and Shay from ballet. My mom was here with me, she was worried about all the contractions I had been having and didn't want to leave me alone. So glad she was here! Ballet is about 12 minutes away. When we were half way there my contractions started to come every 5 minutes. When the girls got in the car they started coming 4 minutes apart. And stayed that way the entire time to Shaylas house. I decided I better call Blake and let him know what was going on. He said he would be home in 20 minutes. Which I thought would be perfect timing. That way I would know if these were really sticking around this time.
They stuck around.
Blake got home and changed his clothes and then we got in the (new) car. Suddenly these contractions, which were already pretty painful, took on a whole new attitude. They started coming 2 minutes apart. Of course the hospital is in Ogden, we got stopped by a train, and every red light up to the freeway entrance. I honestly don't know how fast Blake drove, but I do know it was fast. It just didn't feel fast enough. I know he was worried about me and all the weird positions I kept putting myself in. And he was worried about my water breaking. It sure would have been a shame to have that happen. We pulled up to the front of the hospital and Blake jumped out. Me, I got out and then couldn't move as a contraction completely took over my body. We finally made it inside and to the elevator doors, the maternity area is on the 2nd floor, when another hit really hard. I was bracing myself up by the elevator waiting for the darn thing to come. We could hear people on it but it seemed an eternity before it came. When it did come I couldn't move again. The older ladies getting off pat me nicely on the back and told me to breath.
Now, if you can imagine a cheesy movie where some poor lady is delivering a baby and everything is just over the top ridiculous, that view had to be me.
I told Blake to go to the desk when the elevator doors opened. More like, "Go, there.." He went to the desk and looked at the nurse and he calmly said, "she needs help" and pointed at me as I shuffled to the desk myself. At this point another contraction hit really hard, here is one of the movies scenes, I dropped to the floor in a squat while holding on to the counter. I can just imagine... The nurse looked at me and asked if I wanted an epidural. And yes, did I!
Everything from there happened pretty fast. They got me a wheelchair and whisked me off to a room while Blake was left behind to fill out some paper work. I got in the room and changed into a gown. Or rather, they changed me into a gown. The second I sat down on the bed my water broke. I had two nurses on one side of me; one asking medical questions one setting stuff up. Then one was taking my blood. On the other side the epidural guy was there putting in my IV. Nothing like getting poked and prodded all while having massive contractions and no husband around. At one point I even started squeezing the epidural guys hand.
I did get that epidural and once it kicked in life was a little better. I could wipe the sweat off for a minute at least! The nurse checked me and I was an 8. Never before have I progressed this fast. It was crazy. Because I was a VBAC my doctor has to be in the hospital the whole time. The nursed kept asking if she had got there yet. Everything was happening so fast! She got there a few minutes later and I was a nice 9. She said she was going to run and change and be right back. Ten minutes later I was ready to push. We checked into the hospital at 5:00 and Piper was born at 6:42.
Everything turned out fine, drama and all. I was able to have a successful VBAC and most importantly a beautiful, healthy baby girl.
Piper 24 hours old and all cleaned up.




7 comments:
Those contractions hurt don't they! Were you screaming in the room? I did that, you know, that horrible scream when you think someone is really being dramatic, so you aren't the only one! She's beautiful! Congrats!
So fun to read the whole story! I'm glad your drama didn't include a delivery in your car! Your pics are looking cute by the way! I haven't had too much time to get to them yet, but plan on about a week or so! It was so fun visiting with you the other day and seeing all your darling kids. Bennett and Mylie sure had fun, too!
I love hearing about those stories. Glad everything went well.
I held my breath the whole time I was reading. I'm super lucky and don't know what a real contraction even feels like so I can only imagine. She is such a cutie! So glad everything went so well...even if it was quick. Hope I can meet her soon!
Congratualtions! She's beautiful! Glad you were able to get in and get an epidural for at least 1 hour or so. :)
What a story! I got all teary eyed. She is such a beautiful baby girl. Congratulations!
LOVED reading your story! Congrats on that gorgeous baby.
PS Stephanie Shaner and I LOVE her name, soooooooo cute!!!
Post a Comment