Friday, September 18, 2009

The battered

Here it is, the big day we have been waiting for.  Not necessarily excitedly though.  Soon in a few days Blake will be "whole".  We decided to take a few pictures on our journey so maybe we could have evidence of the fun things Blake gets to do.            We arrived at the hospital at 6:55 by 7:05 Blake was fully "dressed" in his beautiful (blue) hospital garb.  On a side note, he was sure to wear his blue shirt to the hospital.  I think he had a feeling he would be seeing a lot of red.  At 8:30 the Doctors were ready to wheel him out and start his adventure.
(The back door)

Doctors intials before surgery.  So they don't fix the wrong heart...
  6.5 hours later we Finally got to go in the SICU and see Blake.

Blake after surgery.  He already had the breathing tube removed.  After they brought him into his room in the SICU we were told he sat straight up and tried pulling out the tube.  The anesthesiologist said you can't keep a strong man down!  He was hooked to several different i.v.'s- one in each arm and he has a big "thing" on his neck that goes into his central line.  It has several different i.v.'s hooked there as well.  He also has a nice chest tube and a granade for all the drainage.  Lookin pretty!


The tower of power.

Finally a little relaxed.  Blake had a real hard time coming off the anesthetics.  He had a case of the shakes. Bad.  It seemed the whole bed was shaking.  They gave him medicine to help that which imediately made him nauseas.  He had a rough few hours.  Lucky for him, he doesn't remember it.  The nurse in the SICU was awesome.  She was shouting orders and taking great care of Blake.  I have to admit, I had a real hard time seeing Blake this way and felt totally helpless.  And yes, I did feel like I was going to pass out.  I really thought I had prepared myself for everything!  The Doctors asked Blake if he felt like he had been hit by a train and hit again after they backed up to see what they hit the first time.  Then laughed after Blake thanked them for making him feel miserable.

All the i.v's.  The surgeon has a good sense of humor, which works great with Blake.  First thing Dr. Selzman said this morning was that all the nurses were talking about Blake.  They were really excited to see a 30 year old butt instead of an 85 year old one.  Then he came out to the waiting room and told us that the surgery had gone well.  He said, I don't know if you like to hear this but, it was a fun surgery.  You can base a fun surgery on how many 4 letter words are said.  They didn't say any so it was fun.

12 comments:

Annie said...

I'm so glad to see that everything went well. You guys have been in my prayers!

Kate Johnson said...

We are so glad everything went well with the surgery!

Best wishes for a quick recovery, Blake!

Michelle said...

Good to hear it went well! I love how you tell the story, you make me laugh :). Oh my goodness, that would be so scary seeing your husband like that. I hope the recovery is quick and that Blake gets feeling better soon! Please let me know if there is anything we can do :)!

Jeanna said...

I can only imagine what you guys have gone through this week. We hope Blake's doing better every day and back to riding his bike soon.

Gayle said...

Oh My! I'm glad 'someone' had fun with this experience! Barry has had several surgeries through the years, and it seems coming out of the anesthesia is always the worst part for him - he gets SO sick, which isn't good when you have open wounds etc.....

Drew and Aubrey said...

We love you Blake! Wish we could be there to come visit...but we will see you soon!

Emily Harkness said...

Melissa--
I honestly don't know how you got through this! I hope the recovery goes smoothly. Take care and hang in there!
Love, Emily

Jordy and Stephy said...

You are my hero's. You are both so strong and beutiful. I am so greatful to have you in our lives still and you getting healthy Blake. Melissa you are such an expert blogger you make me laugh and cry and get overwhelmed. I sure love you both and our prayers are with you both as Blake recovers.

Christina said...

Oh, my goodness! First - What? They can't at least IRON his gown for him?! :)
Second - Holy cow! (Not a 4 letter word) That is a whole lot of tubing!
Third - I love the butt comment. (Maybe not what a girl patient would love to hear, but a guy patient....you bet!)
Fourth - Blake, I'm glad that it went well and was 'fun' for the surgeons! I'm glad that they made you 'miserable' because that means that you are on the road to recovery! :)
Fifth - Melissa, I'm glad that you were able to stay on 2 feet and keep it all down! That would be very hard. I can only imagine! What a great wife you are! :)

Charlotte said...

I bet the nurses really did enjoy that young butt! Blake's hospital attire is an exact replica of Grandpa's! We just saw him this evening. They are at totally separate hospitals, but somehow both belong to "Central Laundry".

Tyler and Julia said...

You are a wonderful wife and mother. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to keep the family afloat while Blake is recovering. I'm glad to see that the surgery went well. Hope everything continues to go well for all of you!

Justin said...

My word I feel bad about the timing of things...I saw (and was shocked and worried of course) the news about blake RIGHT after I came home from the hospital with Audrey. Since then I have just been in new moms world or something. I am so glad that Blake is doing well! Best wishes to your cute family. And too late for a bbq. How's soup? -Annie