Monday, September 28, 2009

{In Loving Memory}

Robert L. Burton  July 17, 1932 - September 23, 2009
Grandpa Burton or Grandpa Bob as Cambrie calls him, died this week.  I really don't know what to say other than he will be really missed.  He was a funny man and a big tease.  Grandpa was a cowboy, a fisherman, a hunter, a railroad man, a dentist (he would pay any of the grankids $2 to let him pull our teeth when they were loose.  We would save our teeth for him.  He was pretty tricky, I remember a time I had a loose tooth that I didn't think was ready to come out.  He promised me he wouldn't pull it but just wanted to take a look.  I sat, kind of trusting him but mostly worried, and opened my mouth.  About 5 seconds later he said here you go and handed me my tooth.  Magic fingers- didn't even hurt.  Plus I got my $2.), he was a boyfriend (or so he always teased- He would have me sit down by him and put his arm around me and say, Melissa, I am the only boyfriend you will ever need.), a protector, and a friend.


Grandpa was always sure to remind us to give him his hugs and kisses the minute we walked in the door.  He loved tickling us when we were younger.  His hands magically transformed into the crab and the claw.  Watch your knees, cause the claw didn't let go.  He said some crazy things.  He had us all believeing that Herman the crocidile lived in the basement.  Not only did a crocidile live in the basement but he ate little kids.  I remember being scared to go down there!  He had his own room that Grandpa kept locked.  So if we really had to/wanted to go down we would make sure to ask if Herman was in his room.  I asked my mom the other day why he told us that, wondering if maybe there was something he didn't want us to get into.  She said no, it just made him laugh.
A few more things he said-If you drink too much chocolate milk your knees will turn brown- 
                  -For Petes Sake-
                 -Eat you peas and carrots so you can see in the dark-
There are so many more.

One of my most favorite recent memories happened when we celebrated his birthday.  Cambrie sat on his lap to tell him goodbye.  That in it self would be great because she tends to be shy.  But this time she just started chatting.  She probably sat there for 15 minutes.  She told him about her swing set, her room, her friends, you name it.  Grandpa had the biggest smile on his face the whole time.  At one point he said to her, "You know, this is the best conversation we have ever had."  Cambrie so cutely said back, "Ya, I know."  She gave him a big hug.  I know it made his day.  I wish I had a picture of that.

My Grandpa loved all of us.  Love you Grandpa.  You will be missed.
I am so grateful to know families can be together again and that I will get to see him again.

Not a great picture but its the most recent I have of Grandpa Burton.  He is on the right end.
starting left-Grandpa Bill, Grandma Carol, Mom, Whitney, Grandma Moana, Grandpa Bob.  Kelli on blanket, Shayla, Cambrie, Madison.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa :(. He sounds like a great man! I hope you and your family are doing okay. That's cute that Cambrie was able to have a good little converstaion recently :).

Charlotte said...

The basement always did have many hidden secrets. What was the name of that pink puppet he used to bring out? I have so many good memories it's hard to think of any at all!

Jordy and Stephy said...

I'm so sorry melissa. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. love you. stephy

Tyler and Julia said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa as well, Melissa. It will be very difficult for me when my own Grandpa passes away, because he's really more like a father to me. You'll have to tell & re-tell those stories to your kids for many years to come, so that they'll always have memories of him as they get older. By the way, Blake is looking really good!

Gayle said...

Nice tribute Melissa - I took a picture of Grandpa in the hospital and gave a copy to all the siblings. Maybe your Dad will make copies for you - or I'll email it to you, then you can get it printed.