I have been struggling with a decision for awhile now. And I think I have finally come to peace with my decision. You see, I always said when Cambrie turned 4 we would put her in preschool. We did a home one with neighbors (which turned out wonderfully) last year and I thought it would be a great step for her to go somewhere else the year before kindergarten started. Well, that's this year.
When it came time to sign her up somewhere we didn't know where we would be living. I didn't want it to be far from our home. So we waited. Then we bought this house and we spent a little more than we had planned. (Isn't that always how it happens? I really hoped we'd get the screaming deal. Then I realized that houses just cost more than I had expected and planned.) We don't know what expenses will come as we go about our first year living here. It's a bigger house than our old one and that has to mean bills will be higher, but how much? I don't know. So, I kept coming back to the question; can we really afford to send her? Especially when I could probably do the same things with her?
So my decision has been made. We are doing preschool at home 2-3 times a week. We will work on our letters, learning our address, phone number, counting better, and other fun things that come to mind. My plan is to do some fun outings. Things we probably wouldn't have done. But still spending less than what preschool would have cost us. I am getting excited about it!
Today was our first day. It went well and Cambrie loved it. Thankfully, she thinks I'm kinda fun and likes it when I am her teacher. Hopefully, it stays that way!
So, if any of you have any great ideas, websites, or anything else, send them my way! Thanks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Great idea Melissa! I've always thought kindergarten comes soon enough-so if you can get yourself to do the preschooling it's ideal! I cant wait to see what you do! ;)
PS. It's hard to imagine ever regretting KEEPING your children at home with you when they're little. Dont you think? For me I can totally see regretting it sending them away. ;)
Melissa,
The preschool Bennett is going to has a blog:
jump4joypreschool.blogspot.com
The nice thing about it is she has the whole calendar (at the bottom of the blog) planned out for the entire school year along with the activities and fieldtrips.
You could look at it for ideas for your own schedule and what things to work on.
I struggled with this same decision when Aubrey turned 3. Tyler & I were trying to save every penny we could get our hands on for a house, and I didn't want to try & spend any of that money to send her somewhere else to go to preschool. So, I just taught her myself. I worked with her at least twice and sometimes 3 times a week whenever I could using just regular workbooks from Wal-mart. To this day I've never regretted this decision, because not only did it save us money, but I was able to have Aubrey home with me for 2 extra years. For me that was such a huge blessing.
Melissa,
I am looking into sending Madison to Joy/Mother Goose School, where we do it in home as well. Preschool was just too much for the first year, so maybe next. There is a website, it is mothergoosetime.com, and you can order a preschool curriculum, that can be used on a daily basis, or at your own pace. If you can get enough mothers to go in on it with you, it should only cost about 10 or 15 a month. But, it comes with activities, little "homework" projects and such to get her ready for kindergarten. I hope this helps.
Post a Comment